Frequently Asked Questions

What building work requires a building permit?2018-09-17T08:00:33+08:00

It is easier to answer with what is exempt from requiring a building permit, the below is taken directly from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulations and Safety (former Building Commission).

Schedule 4 Clause 2 of the Building Regulations sets out the kinds of building work for which a building permit is not required for certain work. These include small garden sheds, temporary site sheds, certain fences (other than a fence forming part of an enclosure for a private swimming pool), certain masts and antennas, small retaining walls, small pergolas and the like. The Building Regulations provides a detailed description of these exemptions.

Large jobs are obvious e.g. bedroom extension, smaller work of a structural nature, in particular the removing of any wall, changing the size of an opening may need a building permit. The requirement to obtain a building permit isn’t due to the cost of the work, it is required by the type of work.

To read in full direct from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulations and Safety (former Building Commission)


What dollar value of work requires indemnity insurance?2018-09-17T07:58:07+08:00

Residential building work contracts in Western Australia are governed by the Home Building Contracts Act 1991 (the Act). If residential building work valued over $20,000 is to be undertaken, the Act requires that a builder take out home indemnity insurance in the name of the owner before accepting payment or commencing work.

  • Residential building work is defined in the law to mean:
  • Construction of a new dwelling;
  • Extension or renovation of an existing dwelling;
  • Placing a dwelling on land; or
  • Construction, extension or renovation of multi-unit grouped homes except for some multi-storey developments and fully leased retirement villages.

To read in full direct from Department of Mines, Industry Regulations and Safety (former Building Commission) https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/publications/home-indemnity-insurance

Do we need building plans?2018-09-17T07:54:38+08:00

If possible the existing plans are useful. These are available from the local council for a fee of around $55 and with an approximate 48 hour turn around time.

The plans help with the quoting process and the drawing of any sketches of the proposed work if required. If the work does proceed it will make for a faster drafting process.

How much will our building work cost?2018-09-17T07:58:31+08:00

When ever possible we will give a ball park figure to start with before too much time or expense is caused.

Square metre rates aren’t necessarily applicable with extension or renovation work, the building process in part is quite different from building an off the plan standard new home.

Can you build our new home?2018-09-17T07:59:02+08:00

Yes we can.

Extension and renovation work is generally harder then building a new home that is why you may have trouble finding a builder who is willing to do the type of work we specialise in, so yes a house from the ground up we can definitely do.

Are we fully insured?2018-09-28T04:05:27+08:00

Yes we are fully insured with Construction Works Material Damage, Public & Products liability and Workers Compensation.

Indemnity Insurance (Home Warranty) for all residential works from $20,000 as per the Building Contracts Act 1991

Request a Callback

Fill in the form below to request a callback to discuss your move.

Building Checklist

Are you looking at having some work done at your house and you aren’t sure where to start?

Our Recent Work